11 August 2008

The Devil (With the Pen) Made Me Do It

At the risk of piling on Omar Minaya, did you see his explanation of the Willie Randolph firing?

Not the how -- enough ink's been spilled over that to drown Sioux City. The why.

Here's the quote: "It is a distraction every day. You try to keep away from the papers, but they're always in the clubhouse and you read and they're always talking about firing Willie, firing Willie."

Did Lewis Carroll write this script? The media got Willie fired? I hadn't realized that Omar Minaya was the Mad Hatter.

If the media frenzy was becoming a distraction, why didn't Minaya just announce that Randolph was his manager for the rest of the year? That Billy Wagner might consider closing out a win now and then. That Met catchers might try hitting occasionally. That everyone making over $10 million/year might like to accumulate accomplishments worthy of All Star berths?

I don't know if Willie Randolph is a good manager or a bad manager. I doubt that it even makes much difference. But I sure know goofy GM talk when I hear it, and that's it.

Unless the papers tell me I'm wrong.

No comments: