16 April 2011

A Pro-Choice Throw


Everyday from April to October, I read every box score and every game summary in my local newspaper. I read less of the news every day -- I'm losing interest in which country we've unnecessarily invaded this week or what tired old rhetoric the two political parties are cynically employing -- but I still digest the baseball report whole.

Today is why: I came across this item in the Nationals' 4-3 10-inning win over Milwaukee.

Adam Laroche's 10th inning fielder's choice scored Jayson Werth with the winning run and Washington beat Milwaukee. With one out, Werth grounded to shortstop Yuniesky Betancourt, who threw wildly to first. Werth took second on the error. Werth stole third without a throw.

I didn't see the game or hear anything about it. I'm sure there are explanations for the apparent lunacy revealed by this summary. Humor me.

Werth took third without a throw??? He's the winning freakin' run! Why wouldn't the catcher attempt to douse the rally? The base runner is the only thing that matters in that situation.

He scored on a fielder's choice???? Exactly what choice was that?! Werth was the WINNING RUN!!! Did the second baseman have a $200 parlay on Washington winning with two outs in the 10th? If Jayson Werth was one step from the plate the fielder should still have fired home on the minuscule chance that Werth might suddenly enter a catatonic state.

The Brewers can forget their playoff aspirations this year if they're not going to bother working overtime when games go extra frames. That's why I read this stuff everyday.
b

1 comment:

Paulpaz said...

I saw that part of the game. It was nuts. All I can say is, that's what Werth can do for your team. ;) Too bad the Phillies couldn't act like the Yankees and hold on to him AND get Lee.