01 July 2009

What's An All-Star?

As a young Capital reporter in Albany, I thought every statehouse scandal was world-shattering. Today, with many years of perspective, my response to a Bible-thumping governor disappearing for a week of adultery in Argentina is detached bemusement. I've come to recognize that the main purpose of government is entertainment.

Likewise, All-Star elections used to pique my passions. Years later it ceases to rouse me much. (It's worth noting both with respect to government and All-Star games that I continue to vote.) Moreover, my philosophy on who should play has evolved.

In the old days, when social media meant phones in teenagers' rooms, I voted for the player having the best half season, regardless of his pedigree. Over time I realized that many of my choices were regressing to their natural level by year's end while the best players picked it up in the second half.

It seems to me a guy with a lifetime .750 OPS shouldn't start ahead of a veteran star after one good 75-game stretch, and that a superstar shouldn't miss a mid-summer classic because of an injury-marred first-half.

On the other hand, we do put years on the All-Star games. If a top player hits .190 through June, or misses all but 12 games, he probably shouldn't represent his league that particular year.

So when I voted for the 2009 All-Star teams, I chose the players having the best year among those in the top echelon at their position. Sorry Ben Zobrist: get a track record and I'll vote for you. Sorry Manny Ramirez: you can't be an All-Star when you don't play.

My AL All-Star ballot:
1B Kevin Youkilis
2B Ian Kinsler
SS Derek Jeter
3B Evan Longoria
C Joe Mauer
OF Torii Hunter
OF Adam Jones
OF Ichiro Suzuki

I picked Youkilis over Mark Texeira, Justin Morneau and Miguel Cabrera. Your mileage may vary. I valued his defense and on-base ability. Kinsler got the nod over Pedroia, who's not getting it done this year, and Cano, whose power is a figment of Yankee Stadium. If Longoria weren't already a great player, I might have considered ARod. Ichiro needs to hit .370 to be an All-Star, but that's what he's doing. And Adam Jones may not have a long history of Major League success, but he was a prodigy before he became a phenom. Carl Crawford also merits consideration. Anyone who fails to vote for Jeter or Mauer should have his ballot impounded.

My NL All-Star ballot:
1B Albert Pujols
2B Chase Utley
SS Hanley Ramirez
3B David Wright
C Brian McCann
OF Ryan Braun
OF Raul Ibanez
OF Matt Kemp

In the NL, the best players have done us the favor of having the best seasons at their positions. Only in the outfield is there any uncertainty. I couldn't pass on Ibanez despite the likelihood that he's playing over his head. Matt Kemp got the nod in part because women and children should not be exposed to a Braun-Ibanez-Adam Dunn outfield. Brad Hawpe and Justin Upton have gaudy, park-aided numbers, and haven't established their bonafides.

Season your ballot to taste and remember, you don't have to live in Chicago to vote late and often.

No comments: