01 June 2016

Another Accidental Steroid Victim

I feel so sad for Marlon Byrd and his family.

He's yet another unwitting victim of mysterious steroidal substances inserting themselves into the clean-living ballplayer's vitamins. Byrd never knowingly took any illegal substances but is manning up and accepting responsibility, which probably amounts to the end of his career. At 38, he's banned for all of this year and the first two months of next.

Maturity and Accountability on Display
Byrd is particularly admirable because he maturely accepted responsibility a couple of years ago for his positive test for Tomoxifen, which he never knowingly took either but miraculously bored into some supplements he was taking.

So poor Marlon has been twice victimized, lost millions of dollars and the respect of many, and yet, in an unprecedented demonstration of restraint, he has declined to challenge a system that is obviously overzealous and unfair. Perhaps we should start a campaign for a statue of the outfielder outside Progressive Field.

A Chemist and a Writer
On top of that, Marlon is amazingly eloquent for a professional athlete.  Here is, in part, his statement, which you know he wrote himself and comes from his heart:

"I have accepted a one-year suspension by Major League Baseball," Byrd said. "Recently, I was notified that I had tested positive for Ipamorelin, a peptide prohibited by the JDA. In 2012, I tested positive for the medication Tamoxifen, which I was using on the advice of a physician for a medical condition resulting from surgery, and I accepted my suspension without challenge. Since that time, I have paid close attention to the substances that are banned by the Joint Drug Agreement, as I had no intention of taking any banned substances.

"I relied upon a medical professional for assistance and advice with respect to the supplements that I was taking. However, certain supplements I was taking were not on the NSF Certified for Sport list, and therefore, I assumed certain risks in taking them. When I learned that I had tested positive for Ipamorelin, I retained the services of private counsel and an independent chemist to determine the origin of the Ipamorelin test result, because I never knowingly ingested Ipamorelin.

Isn't it heartbreaking? Poor Marlon. At least he has a future career as a college English professor or a professional publicist.

And now for something completely different...
Here's what I don't understand: the guy's career is over. He has nothing to lose. Why can't he actually take responsibility and acknowledge what everyone knows. 

"Yeah, I took steroids. I'm only sorry I got caught. Steroids helped me enjoy a 16-year Major League career and make $38 million. Where else am I gonna sign a contact for $1 million plus incentives -- stocking shelves at the local food mart? You'd do it for a million bucks too. See ya, suckers."

I'd like him so much better if he did. Now I just think he's a fool and a liar. Good riddance, chump.

No comments: