06 August 2009

I'm Just Sayin'

Last year I opined that it would be great for Tom Glavine and John Smoltz to join Greg Maddux in retirement. The three of them ought to make their Cooperstown debuts together. I pointed out that, in their 40s, Glavine had dropped to sixth on the depth chart while Smoltz had earned the loyal customer discount at the rehab store.

Instead, Glavine signed up for one last stint with the Braves and Smoltz inked a deal to spell Dice-K in Boston as soon as his elbow was compliant. And several readers sent their verbal brick-a-bats my way for demeaning the two greats.

Fast forward to August 6, 2009. Having watched Grandpa Tom throw in practice, the Braves cast their lot instead with guys barely clear of their pacifiers, and Smoltz, back from the DL, has contributed exquisitely to the Yankees' pennant run, surrendering a Ponsonian 39 runs in 41 innings. By hanging around one year too many, they'll not only have to retire on someone else's terms (Glavine's services are in demand on par with Mike Vick's), but the magic carpet carrying Maddux into the Hall of Fame in 2013 will have to come back for them the following year.

I also suggested that Plaxico Burris not shoot himself in the thigh. I'm telling ya, ballplayers should listen to me.
b

No comments: