19 September 2012

Tu Eres Un Idiota

"I feel bad, I’m leaving my team for something I didn’t intend to do. I have nothing against the gay community and honestly I’m sorry...It was just a joke and it wasn’t directed to anyone in particular."

"It's just something that's been said around amongst Latinos. It's not something that's meant to be offensive. For us, it didn't have the significance to the way it's being interpreted right now. It's a word used often within teams. ... I agree with the suspension and don't have any problem with it."

With that, Toronto shortstop Yunel Escobar apologized for writing "Tu Ere Maricon" in his eye black. This translates, ungrammatically, to "You Are A Faggot."

I believe Escobar, I really do. Athletes employ homophobic slurs as part of the standard locker room hazing ritual.

And that's exactly the problem.

Imagine if, instead, Escobar's eye black had said "You Are A Nigger." The insult would be apparent and undeniable. Think how sickening his explanation would sound.

Guys have to get out of the habit of joking around about being gay. It perpetuates the myth that there is something wrong with gay men and that gay men can't be athletes. It's certainly possible that one of Escobar's teammates is gay. He can't be feeling very good about all this.

(Possible delicious irony: Escobar is that very guy and, closeted as he is, was in no position to refuse the challenge to put the slur in his eye black. And now he's suspended.)

Bravo to MLB for its swift action and temperate response. A significantly longer punishment -- three game suspension -- would have engendered outcry and discussion. This way, the case is closed and the point is made, period.

No comments: