05 November 2011

If A Series Goes Extras and the TV is Off . . .


The 2011 World Series was one for the ages. 

At least that's what everyone tells me. Most of the drama happened after my bedtime.

That's probably why I was such a humbugger when it ended. When I hit the sack after the 7th inning of Game Six, the Rangers were up 7-4. I never saw the tying fireworks. Or the overtime heroics. Or the winning homer. Never heard Joe Buck's call for the ages.

Hearing about it later is no substitute. I didn't experience the drama. I went to work the next day rested, instead.

Absent that one night, STL-TEX isn't even noteworthy, much less among the great ones. 1960: Maz's home run. 1967: Gibson over the Red Sox, 1968: Lolich and the Tigers beat Gibson. 1975: Fisk's home run not enough. 1979: We Are Family comes back from 3-1. 1986: the Mets storm back. 1991: A 10-inning, 1-0 Game Seven caps the greatest World Series of all time. 2001: D-backs dramatically foil NY's 9/11 victory. (The great ones of the first 55 years escape my worldview.) Since so many of us didn't see the Game Six pyrotechnics, it really didn't feel all that special. Wait, sounds like humbugging again.

On the other hand, no manager has produced the post-Series drama Tony LaRussa uncorked this year. Good for him. His ticket to Cooperstown has 2016 written on it.
b

2 comments:

Paulpaz said...

Another bonus to living in California, I guess. Of course, anywhere is better than Texas - especially after game 6. Wow, do I feel bad for those fans (except that A-hole "W", of course).

Thome in Philly again. I know he's old. But I like it. I'm wishing him a 2008 "Matt Stairs moment" next October!

Waldo said...

Occupy the World Series, Paz