16 January 2010

If I Wanted To Get My Facts Straight, I Wouldn't Have Gone Into Journalism...

Whoops! A couple of events have passed me by and rendered some of my comments...ahem...factuallly challenged.

Andy from Maryland points out that Chris Coste, the Phillies' catcher/first baseman whom I suggested could platoon with Ryan Howard, will have to do so in 2010 in different parts of the inning. Apparently Coste has signed a Mets contract without consulting me.

The point stands, of course, that Howard is a homewrecker against righthanded pitching and a weeble against southpaws and ought to sit in favor of virtually any righthanded batter when lefties face the Phils.

I described Mark McGwire going oppo for his 62nd blast in 1998. Andy notes that was a pull job. I must have been remembering another of his one-handed, opposite-field base clearers. You know, the kind he claims would have been a home run even without the added strength provided by steroids.

I appreciate when readers pitch in. You can post your comments below mine, or email me directly if you have the secret code.
b

No comments: