07 April 2009

Audio Killed The Radio Star

Radio is dead, but MLB Audio is alive and humming through my computer for $14.95 a year. I can get the home and away broadcast of every single Major League game. That's 2,430 choices.

Yesterday I listened to the Rangers call of the Texas-Cleveland game while I worked. The Ranger announcers were balanced and unobtrusive. The spent a lot of time in a 9-1 game contrasting Cliff Lee's 2008 season with his 2009 debut. That's good insights about an opposing player.

At night I had the Astros-Cubs contest on my home computer. The Houston announcers are homers of the worst sort. Not only do they use first person references to the team and openly root for them, but they have almost nothing to say about the opposition. It's quite possible that Houson and Chicago will take up residence on opposite ends of the NL standings. Wouldn't Astro fans like to know something about the best team in the league?

I'm looking forward to getting Vin Scully and Jon Miller's calls and discovering some great announcers elsewhere. I'm hoping to wangle John Sciambi and Gary Cohen broadcasts, even though they do TV. I lack the bandwidth to buy the TV package; otherwise $79.95 to get the video feeds is a steal. (There are blackout rules, so if you're hung up on your local team you're probably out of luck.) Bravo for Major League Baseball for leading the way in alternative media, the proceeds of which are shared equally among the teams. Remember to credit Bud Selig for innovations like this when you denigrate his commissionership for a missed World Series and an All-Star game tie.

Heaven, man; I'm in heaven. It's baseball season. This afternoon, Royals and White Sox. After a beautiful wife, a healthy family and food on the table, what more could a man desire?

1 comment:

Dickie said...

I have had the MLB package on XM Radio for the last four years. There is nothing like listening to baseball on the radio.

I listened to Vin Sculley last night on the MLB TV package.