15 May 2016

David Ortiz Is Talking To Me

I wrote off David Ortiz's career after a hand injury sidelined him in '08 and robbed him of bat speed in '09.

I've written an open letter to him advising him to shut up.

I've justified the whispers about steroid use.

I've observed how his strict adherence to the DH role has a negative impact on his team's defense.

I've called him a fringe Hall of Famer.

And now, he's answering.

Big Papi's Retirement Tour follows a 2015 campaign in which he posted a .304 True Average. He blasted 37 homers and walked 95 times.

This year, at age 40, he's turned 2015 into a preview. He's on pace* to bat .320, slam 48 home runs and 76 doubles, for a .343 TAv.

* I feel like a doofus just writing those words. But you get the point.

For good measure, he's turned the Clutchalizer to 11. Twice last week he supplied the winning hit in the last inning. On Saturday, he tied the game in the 9th with a triple and won it in extras with a double. He had homered earlier in the game.

Ortiz has joined Barry Bonds and Hank Aaron as the only players in MLB history with 500+ homers and 600+ doubles. He'll likely pass Mickey Mantle in long balls.

And given the ball-crushing hijinx of the RSox, he has a chance to lead his charges to another World Series, or at least make some noise with the lumber in October.

It's as if Big Papi is advising me to shut up. Although in his case, it would be "shut the #@!$%! up, *&%$#@!.

It doesn't really change the equation: by the numbers, David Ortiz is a borderline case. But the narrative is pure Hall of Fame gold and it's getting more golden the more he demonstrates that he's leaving near the top of his game.

I have a new message for Big Papi: Okay, I'm convinced. You're a Hall of Famer.

No comments: